The Genealogy Show

I had the wonderful opportunity to speak at The Genealogy Show 2019.
It was a great show. I had a blast.

I had to ask what the difference between a conference and a show. The emphasis of a "show" is the vendors with speakers as secondary. The emphasis of a "conference" is the speakers with some vendors on the side.

Vendors
The vendors were great. Wide variety. I learned about a jewelry section in Birmingham and all the people buried there like the Bird's Custard founder.













I talked to the British Military Archives and found out where I can research my Great grandfather-in-laws military record in the Boer War as a South African fighting for the British. I have the certificate but I want to know if there is more: a detailed record of where he served and what he did.

I also talked to a British India research group called Fibis, (Families in British India Society.)  My husband has an Indian [East Indian] ancestor who was married in Holland and then went to South Africa in 1600s. I want to research her as to whether she was a slave brought to Holland by the VOC and then married a Dutchman. They gave me information on the Dutch website similar to them. igv.nl/

I bought a Purple Surname Society shirt. I did a webinar for them last year and purple is my favourite colour so I just had to support them and my purple clothes section.

Personal Wizard Consultations
Registrants had the opportunity to ask questions of genealogists in specific areas. This was included for free. They called it Personal Wizard Consultations. They constantly had people answering questions. It was so popular they are going to offer this again in 2020.
I was able to help someone with Canadian genealogy and a little bit of South Africa.

I spoke Friday and Saturday:
















I have to confess.
As soon as I got off the plane I dropped off my suitcase at the hotel and went for a train ride to Bournville, Birmingham - the home of the Cadbury Chocolate factory!! Where they gave me a tour of their factory with chocolate along the way!

I learned the history of the cocoa bean, the history of Cadbury Chocolates and the town of Bournville, so it went along with the theme of the weekend!

I had to bring something back for the family from Birmingham. This was the best. 
There is still lots of chocolate in the freezer for family get-togethers. 
While in Bournville, Birmingham I walked around and saw some sights.
I loved the train ride. I got to see more of Birmingham. 

Saw some interesting signs I had never seen before. 

And verified that double decker buses are not just in London. 









The train station at Bournville is purple for Cadbury. A canal ran along the tracks and under the road right by the station. 

I did not get to ride along the canal this time. Maybe next time. 

Beautiful homes. Each one had a name over their doorway!

A one-way bridge over the train track and canal with stop lights. 







See you in 2020!??!!
You won't want to miss it!

Dubbed: The People's Show.





No comments:

Post a Comment